The Honourable Company of Air Pilots incorporating Air Navigators, Australian Region

75 Year History of the Guild and Honourable Company of Air Pilots

The Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators (now known as the Honourable Company of Air Pilots) was founded in 1929, twenty-six years after the Wright Brothers first flight in their heavier-than- air machine. From 1903, aviation blossomed with attempts to fly higher, further and faster. During the First World War (1914-18) aircraft became a military resource for the first time and were used for reconnaissance and combat missions. Military involvement changed irrevocably the perception of aviation, altering the course of its development. Up until this time pilots had been mainly pioneers, adventurers and entrepreneurs.

Download the full publication 75 Year History of the Guild [PDF].

History of the Australian Region
The first meeting of the Australian Region of the then Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators was held on the 11th July 1968, at Bligh House, Sydney. Mr. Jim Cowan officiated as acting chairman  and in attendance were R.J. McCarthy,  K.J. Oram,  J.D. MacKellar, L.J. Kloster, D. Christley, and J.P.R. Sheilds. This meeting led to the formation of the Australian Regional Committee. Total support was offered from London for the first overseas branch of the Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators.        

Since those early days, overseas regions are now established in New Zealand, Hong Kong, and North America.

Download the Honourable Company of Air Pilots Australia 2017 Brochure [PDF].